Los Rios Images

Office of the General Counsel

Student Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The security of your information is very important to us. That is why we will not discuss your records over the phone. This includes resetting your password. If you do not remember your password reset questions, you must come to the campus or one of the outreach centers in person with photo identification. To obtain a copy of your records, including your current enrollment, you must either log in to eServices or come in person with picture identification. You can also order your official transcripts online.

Student Rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Students have the right to:

  1. Inspect and review their own education records within a reasonable time after the College receives a request for access. If a student wants to review his or her record, they should contact the Vice President of Student Services for a petition. Education records include any item of information directly related to an identifiable student maintained by the District or College or required to be maintained by an employee in the performance of the employee's duties, whether that information is recorded by handwriting, print, tapes, files, microfilm, electronically or other means. Education records do not include directory information, information provided by a student's parent related to financial aid or scholarships, information prepared by and that remains in the sole possession of the person who created it; certain medical records, and decisions reached as a result of disciplinary hearings. Education records are maintained by the offices that generate or receive those records and the manager of those offices is responsible for the maintenance of those records. The Admissions and Records Office at each College maintains a log of those persons who have been given access to education records as required by FERPA.
  2. Request an amendment of their education record if a student believes it is inaccurate or misleading. If a student feels there is an error in his or her record, the student should submit a statement to the College official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record he or she wants changed and why he or she believes it is inaccurate or misleading. That office will notify the student of their decision and advise of any appropriate appeal rights.
  3. Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. There are several exceptions which permit disclosure without consent, including but not limited to:
    • Disclosure to school officials with “legitimate educational interests.” School officials are employees of the District and its colleges, agents with which the District or College has contracted with to provide services, the Board of Trustees; or students serving on a committee or assisting another school official in the performance of his or her tasks. A legitimate educational interest exists when the school official has a need to know the information in connection with his or her official duties.
    • "Directory information." Directory information is a student’s name, student identification number, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and most recent previous public or private school attended by the student. A student has the right to withhold the release of directory information. To do so, the student must complete a form, which is available from the Office of Admissions and Records. However, placing a “No Release” on a student’s records means that no one including friends, parents, prospective employers, honor societies or any other group or individual will be able to obtain this information.
    • Disclosures to officials of another school, school system, or institution of postsecondary education where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled so long as the disclosure is for the purpose related to the student’s enrollment or transfer.
  4. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Further information about FERPA and student records can be found in the Los Rios Community College District Policy and Regulation 2265 and at the College office of the Vice President of Student Services.